Japanese action star Rina Takeda (Attack on Titan, Posessed), pictured above center, Korean actress and model Go Joon-hee, Hong Kong actress Wiyona Yeung, and Singaporean actors Desmond Tan and Rebecca Lim are in discussions to join Hong Kong zombie movie Chungking Mansions, Deadline reports.
Chungking Mansions tells the story of a disparate group of people from across the globe who must climb the iconic Chungking Mansions building (watch a video about it below) amidst a zombie outbreak in Hong Kong.
The site notes that the action-thriller will film primarily in English, noting that the lead character is an American desperately striving to save his wife and child who are holed up in Chungking Mansions, but are told the film will also “feature a number of languages including Japanese, Cantonese, and Korean to reflect the multi-cultural nature of both the production and Chungking Mansions itself.”
- Go Joon-hee would play a high-profile model attending the launch of a new fashion campaign when the outbreak occurs.
- Wiyona Yeung plays a wellness guru caught up in the chaos that ensues.
- Desmond Tan would play a hustler helping an American locate his family.
- Kevin Leslie will be a British backpacker seeking his girlfriend.
- Rebecca Lim is in talks to play a blade master and right-hand woman of the man behind the outbreak.
- Rina Takeda would be cast as a Special Agent from Japan seeking those responsible.
“Chungking Mansions contributes to the evolving tapestry of zombie lore while paying tribute to the socially charged narratives of George A. Romero, bringing it closer in tone to Jordan Peele’s Get Out and Us,” said director-producer Bizhan M. Tong.
Producers are aiming to shoot the film next spring.